Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Cat 12 yrs old. took her to vet today tag on ear. He wants

Customer Question

cat 12 yrs old. took her to vet today for skin tag on ear. He wants to remove it, says it can turn to cancer. Sample probably too small to send to lab. Would require stitch or two, antibiotics and cone for 10 days. Am considering not doing it. Your opinion?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat? I'll do all I can to help.
Customer: She is otherwise very healthy. It doesn't bother her at all.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Mary. My son brought her home from college as a kitten. He's gone, but we still have Mary.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.

hello,

If it is not bothering her you can choose to leave it alone. Skin tags very rarely become malignant.It is almost like a beauty mark on a human.

Read more here:

https://www.vetinfo.com/skin-tags-on-cats.html

However, some can begin to grow rapidly. If that happens it would be best to remove it. This is a minor procedure that can be done with local anesthesia.

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 8 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri