nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

He has a benign cyst on s chin. We had it checked by s vet

Customer Question

He has a benign cyst on his chin. We had it checked by s vet about a year ago. But today it opened an there is blood present. Do I need to take him back to the vet? Can I put peroxide on it?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Harley is 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?
Customer: No. He is still eating and doesn't seem to be in pain. He's not pawing at it .
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

As long as the bleeding is not profuse, we'd not be overly worried here. Cysts often will overfill with fluid to the point that they rupture. When this happens we can often see situations like this where the bit of blood is from the skin opening.

So, you can start home treatment if it isn't bleeding much. To do so, you can flush this with hydrogen peroxide or salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). As long as its open this can be done 2-3 times daily and if he will tolerate it you can also apply an OTC antibiotic cream. As well, if he bothers the area, then he may have to wear an ecollar for a few days to prevent him from scratching the area and getting more bacteria into it. Of course, if you see any pus or if this becomes an abscess then he may need antibiotics to clear that. And finally just to note, cysts often will heal, refill, and repeat this; so do be aware that we could see this do so again in the future.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is a huge relief. Thank you so much!
Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet