Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.
16881297

She had surgery to be spayed and now she sometimes holds her

Customer Question

She had surgery to be spayed and now she sometimes holds her back leg in a funny position like it is frozen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: well she has jumped off things that werent too high but still it was right after surgery
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: she is a very small cat .... 5 pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: she was spayed then she had pain meds for 3 days onsior
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: miss purrty
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Sometimes, when we give an injection for anesthesia, we will use the vein in the hind leg or will give an antibiotic injection in the rear leg that can affect the sciatic nerve. Check to see if there is an obvious lesion on the inside of this leg that would indicate that your gal had an injection in this area. This would cause some minor discomfort and cause her to hold the leg in an odd position as well as an antibiotic injection in that area. In either case, this will resolve in only a few days. Of course, if this lasts more than a few days, have your vet recheck your sweet gal to be sure we did not miss something but this is common in some cases after this procedure and will not cause your gal any harm.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****