nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

My cat has blood in one of here eyes, what could it be? Our

Customer Question

My cat has blood in one of here eyes, what could it be? Our cat appears to have trauma to one of her eyes. She has had herpes before of the other eye and it was cleared with NeopolyDex opthalmic ointment, now she recently has been squinting her eye and now following, there is blood in her eye on the bottom half. The eye is also cloudy. She has been acting lethargic the last couple of days but seems to be in an okay mood now.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am attaching a photo here
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Chat is ok didn't mean to press the call button
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, while it is only a small amount we do need to tread with care. Bleeds of this nature can be warning signs of serious eye issues. It is possible herpes could be involved (since its a systemic virus that can affect both eyes as well as other organs) but otherwise we can see ocular bleeds with eye trauma, in cats with high blood pressure (most often secondary to kidney or thyroid issues), eye infections (uvetitis -which herpes can cause as well as FeLV, FIV, Toxoplasma, etc), and with conditions that erode the blood vessels in the back of the eye (ie ocular tumors, FIP, etc). And all of these could cause the clouding (corneal inflammation/edema) and discomfort induced squinting.

So, these would be our concerns for her and while she is acting a bit off, we do need to take this seriously. Therefore, we'd want her to revisit her vet so they can test for the above, check her eye's blood vessels on exam, and potentially measure the eye pressure (to just make sure she hasn't any secondary glaucoma). Depending on their findings, further treatment will be needed to soothe the corneal inflammation and discomfort but settle this internal issues before we see any more bleeds or blindness for this eye..

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please do rate my service once you