Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My female yellow tabby is just over a year old and she's

Customer Question

My female yellow tabby is just over a year old and she's bleeding excessively from her vaginal area. I do have an unneutered male who got my other female pregnant in the house. They're all house cats by the way. I just noticed this today when I got home from work at seven. I noticed it when she jumped onto my freezer before I filled up their food dish.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the tabby?
Customer: Not that I can think of right off the top of my head
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

Is your tabby spayed?

Is she still bleeding excessively or has it slowed down?

Is she licking excessively down there?

What color are her gums? They should be light pink; check if they are white.

Does she seem to be in any pain?

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I hope that you did not reply back, because you are tending to your cat or you are on the way to the ER vet center.

If this yellow tabby is not spayed, she could have developed a serious uterine infection called pyometra, which must be treated immediately. Typically, the treatment is spay surgery.

If you have an unneutered male in the house that has impregnated your other female, he should be neutered, asap.

If your cat is spayed, she may have a urinary or bladder infection, which can cause bleeding, or she could have another problem, internally, that is causing the bleeding. It's very important to find out the cause of the bleeding and stop it, right away.

Could she have gotten into any rat poison? Many of these include a substance that causes uncontrolled bleeding, as it removes the clotting factor from the blood.

If you haven't yet, please bring her to the nearest ER vet (unless your vet has emergency hours) to be evaluated and treated.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 2 months ago.

Hello again!

I'm following up with you to see how your female yellow tabby is doing and if you found my answer helpful.

I hope you were able to bring your kitty to the vet for evaluation, diagnosis and treatment and it was only something minor. Please let me know what the vet told you, as I'm concerned for your kitty.

Thank you very much!

If you need any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask me. Thanks!

I hope all is well and I look forward to your response.

Warmest wishes,