Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She is eating, drinking, not able to keep balance, eyes are

Customer Question

She is eating, drinking, not able to keep balance, eyes are focused, pupils are not dilated, no pain! She is flicking her tail as normal, just no balance
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Smokey 2 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smokey?
Customer: She was spayed and had shots in spring, we have other cats and none are showing these symptoms
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to help with your question about Smokey.

I'm so sorry she's not able to walk straight. This is most likely a condition called vestibular syndrome, which causes dizziness, as there is a disturbance in the vestibular system, which regulates balance/equilibrium. It sometimes stems from an ear infection or another problem in the inner ear. Sometimes it is 'idiopathic' (no known cause). If it's not caused by an ear problem, it can resolve as quickly as it came. Here is more information:

For the moment, you can give her 1/4 of a 50mg dimenhydrinate (dramamine), as this condition is similar to human motion sickness.

There may be other causes for her balance problem, so it would be advisable to have her evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible.

I hope all will be well with Smokey and please let me know how she's coming along and what the vet's findings are.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I just wanted to add, that if Smokey spends any time outside and had an opportunity to lick antifreeze (cats are attracted by the sweet smell/taste), this can also cause not being able to walk straight and can cause kidney failure if not caught quickly.

She could have ingested any other poison, even around the house, that is causing her symptoms.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, again.

I'm just checking in with you to see how everything is going with Smokey and if you found my answer helpful. Please let me know. Thanks!

If you need any additional information please don't hesitate to reply back.

I hope things are improved!

Warmest wishes,