Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Cat has suddenly stopped eating. What could it be?

Customer Question

My cat Splash is 17. She recently stopped eating. For the past three days we’ve given her tuna, and wet cat food. She eats a little, drinks a little but is very weak. She is on thyroid medication. She had her yearly exam this spring He said by looking at her teeth etc. she was in excellent health. Should I take her to the vet or is she winding down on a long life? I don’t want her to die away from home.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.
I am so sorry Splash is not feeling well. It is possible her thyroid medication needs adjustment. She may be dehydrated and or hypoglycemic. Rub a drop of pancake syrup or honey into her gums to raise her blood sugar. That should perk her up. Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and see if she will lap it up for hydration. Go out and get a jar of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic. Warm the food to bring out the aroma. Moat cats will eat that willingly. She can also have tuna and canned food if she likes that.
Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. We just gave her a bit of honey. I'm going to get the baby food. It sounds like a visit to the vet to check her medicine would be a good idea. Considering her recent physical was excellent, I have to ask, It could definitely be illness, not the winding down to death, right?
Expert:  Terri replied 3 months ago.
NO, I absolutely do NOT think she is winding down to death. She is just not feeling well. Any change from the syrup?