PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Two days ago, my 14-yr-old male, neutered Bombay cat was

Customer Question

Two days ago, my 14-yr-old male, neutered Bombay cat was diagnosed with a large mass in his upper abdomen. And earlier blood test a week before had shown that all the numbers were within range. I had taken him to the vet because he wasn't pooping and wasn't eating well. I am now feeding him with a syringe.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Bombay's name?
Customer: It's Buster and let me add one thing more to assist you. The vet that did the blood test retired the next day so I had to go to a different dr. The new dr. felt a very large mass up near and partly sort of behind the rib cage. He did not request an ultrasound. He said that I shouldn't wait too long so that the cat doesn't suffer. I asked for an approximate time and he said one or two weeks at the most. I have no problem with what he said but I just want to ask--can a good vet tell a if a very large mass is terminal just by feeling it? I don't want to have any regrets that I put him down too soon without trying to ease his affliction. I saw on a diagram of cat organs that the liver looks closer to the rib cage than the stomach and wondered could that be important. Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Bombay?
Customer: It's very, very hot and dry here so I am giving him water by syringe also. He urinated twice a day, last pooped two days ago, and is quiet and mellow and affectionate. Not moving around a lot.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

There is absolutely no way, regardless of how skilled the veterinarian, that they can simply touch a mass and know with certainty that it is going to be terminal. That being said, at 14 years of age and with a mass being in the cranial portion of the abdomen...chances are, yes, it's going to be terminal. And if you're to the stage of needing to syringe feed your companion, yes, your vet has likely educated you correctly in estimating that a few weeks, tops, would be the allotted time before euthanasia would be needed. The stomach sits partially under the ribs, there's a picture here that shows this (denoted by S):

Please let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Buster doing?