Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

He is about 8 yrs. He usually goes outside. About the last

Customer Question

he is about 8 yrs. He usually goes outside. About the last three months he has started to poop on my furniture. Trying to fing out why. It seems a little loose.So I thought he could be ill. I have just brought back out a litter box. I have 2 cats they have not used it in years. Recently my boyfriend and his dog have been staying here. So, I am thinking perhaps they are stressing him out or that he is not getting enough attention. I find hard to believe as we always soend lots of time with all a
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: the animals
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: joker
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what is causing Joker's stool concerns. We commonly do see that stress is the leading factor in why a cat will avoid using the litter box. I would urge you not only to have one available in the house, but to have multiples and in different areas so that Joker can find a safe place to go. Many cats will opt for furniture when they don't feel safe traveling to (or being in) a litter box. Covered boxes, in a private area, turned away from traffic tends to be the most preferable to cats.

Because his stool has been soft, I would also consider the potential for intestinal parasites to be the concern here or even a food-related issue. If this does not change with the addition of boxes, I would recommend that you have him examined by your vet to be sure that he's physically sound and healthy. A change in food may be needed if the stool does not otherwise improve. You can also add 1 tsp per 10# ***** body weight to the food to help firm the stool. Most cats like pumpkin and don't mind it mixed into canned food, if this is something you might wish to try.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 4 months ago.

But 105 is still high.Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

Dog's normal temps are higher than ours. They average 100 to 101.

Was Joker in a warm car? heat plus anxiety can push the body temp up.

Dog's cannot cool themselves by sweating like we can.

They hang out their tongue and pant.