Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My cat has not pooped in a week

Customer Question

My cat hasn't pooped in a week.
Her name is Sarah and she is 13.
She has been healthy her entire life.
She's an indoor cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Is Sarah showing any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how minor }?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She drinks slot of water and she urinates slot. This seemed to happen after a senior exam at vet.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Sarah has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If you are in fact dealing with simple uncomplicated constipation some owners try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin }, this is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your cat's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate would be around 2 ml orally twice a day, a small syringe which you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be useful to administer it with.

{ You can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil until you can pick up the mineral oil }

2. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the cat, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it will often respond to the above common sense treatment.

But cats can often appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or specific cat diseases causing stasis of the bowel which may require veterinary intervention. This of course this is fairly rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vet check Sarah over as further tests may be needed to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your cat appears constipated and your vet will have access to prescription drugs and methods to resolve the situation.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?