Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Left eye swollen with discharge, however inner eye lid is

Customer Question

left eye swollen with discharge, however inner eye lid is showing and moves around.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Zeke, a stray cat that we took in about 3 or 4 years ago. estimated age at that time around 1 to 2 years so around 6 years old. weight around 11 to 12 pounds. has allergies.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zeke?
Customer: currently on steroids for allergies/ulcers, and started allergy shots approx. 2 months ago
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry that Zeke is having a problem with his left eye. The swelling and discharge may be symptoms of an eye infection or the result of an injury, like a scratched cornea. The third eyelid showing is not unusual when there is a problem with the eye, itself and/or there may be illness in the body, in general.

If Zeke is currently being treated for his allergies with steroids, his swollen eye may be the result of his allergies or it might also be an indication of the feline herpes virus (FHV). The herpes virus in cats is not communicable to humans and typically occurs with upper respiratory symptoms, and frequently affects the eyes. To ease a 'flare-up', if he DOES have FHV, L-lysine is very helpful. They make special formulations for cats that you can find in your local pet supply stores, in natural food stores, like Whole Foods, or order online:

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/vetri-science-laboratories-vetri-lysine-plus-bite-sized-cat-chews

-------------

https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-viralys-l-lysine-oral-gel/dp/102542?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Vetoquinol&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKEAjw_LG8BRDb1JTxm8uP_UwSJADu_8pW2wWcgHyLYWnLcC6kTnF5SAf4nHFZZpT1oQpYPdlDPxoCm9jw_wcB

There's no doubt that he should be seen by a vet, as soon as possible, to get a diagnosis and appropriate treatment, but for the moment, gently clean away the discharge with a slightly dampened cotton ball.

If the situation seems to worsen tonight, bring him to the nearest ER vet center so he can be evaluated and treated, in person.

I hope all will be well with Zeke and he's a lucky boy that you choose to rescue him a few years ago!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just checking in with you to see how Zeke's eye is doing and if you found my answer helpful.

Warmest wishes,

Cher