Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Spots in one of my cat's outside of the cornea. I just call

Customer Question

Brown spots in one of my cat's outside of the cornea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: I just call him Kitty.He is somewhere between seven and ten.He is strictly an outside cat.Does not like to be inside.He is a Main Coon or so I am told.
JA: What is the coon's name?
Customer: Never found out.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your coon?
Customer: No,in the winter,he is very furry,in the summer he just looks like a skinny cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is there any redness, swelling or discharge associated with this eye?

Is he squinting the eye?

Is it possible for you to take a picture of the eye and post it or attach it to your next message?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No swelling,no mucus. attaching photo.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the picture. It looks like it could be an iris cyst. These are usually benign and shouldn't cause any problems. You can do an Internet search for "iris cysts in cats" and see if the pictures match what it looks like in person. You can get these cysts from inflammation in the eye or trauma, but in most cases, we never find out what causes them. No treatment is usually necessary, unless there are other issues with the eye. I would still have your vet take a look at it because an in person eye exam with the proper equipment is best for confirming that it is just a cyst and not a tumor. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John