PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

Kitty was in the dog's mouth. After taking it out of s

Customer Question

Kitty was in the dog's mouth. After taking it out of his mouth, kitty has trouble using the hind legs. It's a feral kitty, possibly 1 or 2 months old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wound. I wonder if the hip became dislocated.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Lucky.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?
Customer: He drinks kitty formula out of the bottle, and refyses solid food kibble or canned.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

JACustomer, thanks for your question.

Can you attach a video of the kitten walking?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here is a link to the video of the kitten walking.

Thanks, Customer.

It's hard to tell exactly what is going on with this baby. Here are my concerns:

1) Broken rear leg or legs.
2) Dislocation at hip on one or both sides.
3) Tendon, ligament or nerve damage.

Ideally, this baby would be examined by a veterinarian and some x-rays taken to see how bad the injury is. A break may require amputation or splinting, the dislocation may require reduction and other damage may improve overtime or leave this baby unable to walk normally forever (sometimes this improves with time).

Until you're able to have her examined, I would keep her quarantined in a small area where she cannot climb or jump. Offer canned food or softened kibble (use water) so that she can eat. Provide a litter box as it looks like she should still be able to use the bathroom normally.

There are no pain meds OTC for humans that kittens can safely take, so please avoid giving anything in an attempt to make her feel better. Most of these will cause liver and/or kidney failure and subsequent death.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?