Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years

Doesn't seem seem hungry, sort of coughs, stays out of

Customer Question

doesn't seem seem hungry, sort of coughs, stays out of sight, morem lethghargic than usdual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: rusty. I think about 1. not my cat.
JA: How old is Rusty?
Customer: I think about 1.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rusty?
Customer: always somewhat thin and lanky aws an abandoned cat when kitten.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear Rusty is not well. How long has he been like this?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he eating anything at all, and is he drinking? Can you find out if his gums are pink in color, or if they look pale?

Does he go outside?

He could have a fever, infection, parasites, or he could be injured especially if he goes outside. If I could, I would take his temperature, check his gum color, and see if he is dehydrated. If he is dehydrated, if his gums are pale, if his temperature is high, he may need medication and treatment from a veterinarian.

Try to keep him hydrated by encouraging him to drink water, milk, chicken broth or tuna juice. If he won't even take liquids, he may need medical attention.

I always worry about feline leukemia virus in young cats, and that can be serious. It can cause fever, anemia (pale gums), loss of appetite, etc.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! Please let me know how Rusty is doing, and if I can answer any other questions.