Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have a seal point Siamese who has a large raw wound on s

Customer Question

I have a seal point Siamese who has a large raw wound on his neck. Not sure what happened as I adopted him with this. It looked like a severe burn. Every time it's close to healed he gets his halo off and digs it back open. We are treating with raw honey per our vets instructions, but is there a better remedy? I'm seriously considering having him declawed. I have reservations about this as he was an outdoor cat before and I can see that he longs to go back outdoors.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the Siamese bleeding a lot?
Customer: No not at all, unless he wiggles out of his bandage and halo. Then he digs it until he does bleed a lot. And the halo is driving him mad. He absolutely hates it. I'm taking him back to the vet Monday to explore other options.
JA: Phew. What is the Siamese's name and age?
Customer: Prince, almost a year
JA: How old is Prince?
Customer: Almost a year old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

1) Can you submit a clear picture of the wound itself?
2) How often are you applying the honey and bandages? Can you describe the bandages?
3) Where does the e-collar (halo) ride? Is it on the bandage?
4) Is the e-collar soft or hard (falls back against the shoulders or stick out past his nose?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think I can get a picture of the wound. I have already dressed it for today and he is growing more agitated (I already have a scratch). The bandage is changed every day and a new thin glaze of honey. The collar is just above the wound and it does go past his nose. He will let it almost heal, then finds a way to dig it out.

It sounds like the more effective thing here would be to use a soft collar (cats have more patience here) and to place the collar behind the bandage so he cannot scratch it.

I think I can help you best with a photograph of the areas you're working with. I do best if I can visualize what you're seeing. Would this work for you? Perhaps submit a photo or two tomorrow before re-dressing? There's no extra charge to keep the question open longer. We work together as long as is needed to help solve the issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
definitely I will get a picture of the wound tomorrow. I leave it off and engage him in activity for as long as possible. He loves to groom and will continuously groom to keep from being rebandaged

Thanks for your reply. I'll look forward to seeing the pictures tomorrow and helping you further then.