Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

She is a one year old maine coon, and today she started

Customer Question

She is a one year old maine coon, and today she started acting funny when she eats. She shallows then she tilts her head to the side and looks like she is gagging, the continues to do this for about 20 minutes. She's just not herself either.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the maine's name?
Customer: LuciFur
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucifer?
Customer: We got her from a rescue last February but they gave her all her shots and things like that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr B replied 4 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you.My first concern would be some type of oral cavity problem. Either a resorptive lesion in her mouth or possibly something in her mouth. I worry with young cats when I hear this because they can swallow strings and get them caught under the tongue (which you cannot see) and the they travel down the GI tract and end up slicing through the intestines and killing the patient.I would take your kitty to the ER tonight to have her checked out in case this is the case housemother she won't live...... please let me know if I can answer any other questions. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers. A positive rating will not close this question as I am happy to answer any follow up questions. Thank you very much!

Please note that the information I provide is intended as general information only and not intended to replace the advice of your veterinary professional

Sincerely, DRB