Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat is constipated. he is a neutrated and is 6 years old.

Customer Question

my cat is constipated . he is a neutrated and is 6 years old. There has been n o change in diet. he always had really hard poops but now he meows loudly when passing stool. there is no blood no mucus or anything else. His activity and his appetite is still the same- he is a healthy eater and often eats soem of the dogs food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: no he is decalwed- not by me he was a rescue. He has always been healthy fully immunised indoor cat
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy is having some trouble with constipation. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me how long it has been since he passed stool?

What is his normal diet, canned, dry or a mix of both?

Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he is passing stool it is just very hard nad he cries when he is passing it.
His normal doet is dry but because of the constipation I have been adding wet thinking it would osften it, it does not seem to be working.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the wait, I was offline for the night when you replied back.

Adding more canned was a great idea and we would always suggest that with cats that have problems with constipation. Cats for the most part are not good drinkers and adding canned increases their water intake.

There are a few other things you can do to help.

Some things you can try today to help get her going are:I would choose one of the following

*1 teaspoon of mineral oil can be added to canned food.
* 2 tablespoons of caned pumpkin daily
* Metamucil- 1 teaspoon in canned food twice daily
*Miralax can be used as well. This should be given at a dose of 1/4 of a teaspoon( again with canned food) once daily. This is also safe to use daily (1/8 of a teaspoon) to prevent constipation.
* Milk of Magnesia 1/4 of a teaspoon twice daily.
* Colace 1/2 of a 50mg tablet.

I would start with the Colace to soften the stool and make it less painful for him to go. If that does not work then I would try one of the other options listed above.

I hope this helps give you some options to try. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy