nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

My cat has been diagnosed with Wet FIP, Cat has fluid in s

Customer Question

My cat has been diagnosed with Wet FIP
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: Cat has fluid in his abdominal area
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: Doesn't hurt
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Snowie date of birth 13/03/2015
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Snowie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowier?
Customer: He is eating and drinking okay
JA: What else should I tell the Veterinarian?
Customer: That is all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Oj
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome, I am Dr. B and would like to help you today.

How was he diagnosed?

What treatments have the vets started?

Do you have a specific question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi there as of yet we haven't started any treatment and I know there is very little that can be done unfortunately but I am looking into this product and I want your opinion it probably couldnt hurt trying it, my cat is currently eating and drinking okay , the only sign really so far is the tummy with slight amount of fluid , vet took some as sample and sent it away but could not get a very sure result , they said given his history he has a heart arrhythmia , is quite skinny though eats well, gum problems , it is likely it is FIP
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have read up on FIP extensively over the past day or so and can see its a very nasty and 99% fatal disease I know its a difficult one to give advice with, I just want to do the best I can to keep him as long as I can
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

You are right that it is a terrible virus.

Now I have reviewed the link and while I do question their interpretation of the disease, there is nothing harmful in the product so it could be tried. Otherwise, while I am happy to review the test results of your vet isn't sure ( heart based fluids are very different the FIP fluid) and advise if they have tested appropriately if you did wish to upload them for me.

Otherwise, I would strongly advise visiting for information on treating this. The author of the page is Diane Addie who is the top FIP researcher in the UK. That way you can aware of all our options for trying to help your wee one

Please take care,

Dr. B

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Dr B, Currently getting more tests done and will be back in touch with you sometime soon with results :)
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

That is grand. I will await those results and we can got through them together. :)

Best wishes for Snowie,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi there okay so both vets I saw looked at him and suspect FIP they said blood work is not going to tell anything and isn't worth the cost its best just to make him comfortable and see how he goes ,Before he had dental and scale under general he had blood tests and it indicated his liver was a little worse then normal , before his under general visit he didn't have any fluid buildup and day after he started getting it is it possible it could be something to do with the liver rather then FIP because he doesn't seem to have anything else wrong with him at present , doesn't seem to have temp I don't have anyway of testing tonight but he doesn't seem hot and he is eating and drinking, I just wondered on your thoughts does liver issues cause fluid buildup in abdominal area and if so is there a treatment , do you think it is wise to take him to vet one last time for set of bloods before going any further with treating him herbally for FIP because no other treatments are available
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I have to say that I cannot agree with them, since we can use our fluid analysis +/- the bloods to give us an answer of whether FIP is likely or not. As I hinted above, just having the fluid analysed can tell us if this is likely FIP, or a heart or protein based issue (since the fluid tends to be more like water then proteinaceous FIP type fluid), or infection (ie peritonitis). And knowing whether it is likely is of real value since the drugs we use for FIP treatment (options that go beyond herbal and you can read in Diane's link above) could be harmful if used in cats with those other conditions. For example, if we have a bacterial infection here, then giving the high dose of steroids used against FIP could cause the condition to worsen. As well, failing to address a heart condition causing fluid would not be helpful either. So, if this were my patient I wouldn't just see how it goes for him.

Now that all aside for a moment, if his liver values are off (not just the bilirubin), then FIP would be less likely and their diagnosis questionable. And as you have asked, if the liver is damaged or not working properly, it won't make blood proteins like albumin as it should. A decline in this protein would upset the circulatory balance and could certainly cause fluid to build. So, if the liver values are generally elevated, then FIP needs to be put lower on their differential list and they need to treat the liver. If the albumin is dangerous low, then he may also need a transfusion of colloids (synesthetic proteins to rebalance the circulation) or plasma (naturally protein rich). These will help raise that protein level, rebalance the circulation, and help stop the progressive loss of fluid into the abdomen. But again its worth having that fluid sampled for testing +/- checking bloods if those liver values were off since this is starting to sound like your vet is incorrect about FIP.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )