nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

My 17 year old cat has itchy ears. She will not let me near

Customer Question

My 17 year old cat has itchy ears. She will not let me near them. I'm afraid she will get too upset if I wrap her in a towel. Don't want her to have a heart attack. She screams when scratching them.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: No. She's pretty heathy but her ears are making her feel bad. I took her to my vet and she said the Revolution would take care of the mites if that's what it was. It did not. When I try to put drops in them she screams.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

I am very sorry to hear that your are struggling with your lass's ears.

Now she has not responded to the treatment and the ear drops are causing pain and distress; then you can ring your vet to request systemic/oral antibiotics and pain relief for her. That way you can stop the drops and treat her from the inside out. Finally, if they are worried about bacterial agents, there are even some long lasting injectable antibiotic options that may help here to get her ears clear with as little stress as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I told you I had been to the vet. Great solution. I'm not paying for you to tell me the obvious. Thanks but no thanks.
Expert:  nekovet replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I realize you have and this is why I suggested ringing them (not taking her back in). Even after vets have seen a patient, if there is a lack of improvement or a situation like you have with the ear drops, the vet can dispense an alternative for you. So, you need only pick up the phone and contact them to get a more appropriate treatment for this poor kitty.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you kidding me? I have 6 animals and in all my years not one vet will prescribe anything over the phone. They want you to bring them in regardless. It's not the $. It's that my girl is 17 and easily traumatized. This is ridiculous. I noticed that it popped up to talk to you for more $$$$. My point exactly. I'm not paying for my waste of time. If I am charged for this I will dispute it.