PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

There is a hard raised lump of something on the back of the

Customer Question

There is a hard raised lump of something on the back of the outside cat I feed on my property. There is a band around the hard hair covered part that has lost the hair
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Harmony. 5or 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harmony?
Customer: No... Other than she is a little feral and has a stub for a tail
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question. Do you have a picture of this area on Harmony?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I'll stand by.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do I email the pic?

There's an attachment function on the page. You can also use or similar website and share the link back

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure how to do this. I see on this page that there is a jpeg image but when I press send nothing happens. I know how to send pics from my library to specific emails
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh maybe it did send. ????
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Did u receive it?

It just came through. Thank you! One sec here while I type a response.

This looks like a mat and one that should be fairly easy to shave out of the haircoat if she will permit this to happen. Sometimes under these areas are abscesses or hot spots, so it may not be a bad idea to have a clinic perform this service. Sometimes they will clip matts out for a nominal charge without an exam, so its worth calling around to see if this is something they do if you're unable to remove it yourself. Some cats are also tolerant enough to have them pulled from their coat.

If there are any areas of red, ulcerative appearance she's going to need to have it professionally addressed anyhow with antibiotics and probably having the area clipped and cleaned.

If you need any further help during this process, just let me know.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is your companion doing?