Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My cat has vestibular disease and has not eaten in 3 days.

Customer Question

My cat has vestibular disease and has not eaten in 3 days. How can I get him to eat? When I finger feed he spits it back out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Smidge. The vet sent him home with only an IV bag, they did not even know he had vestibular disease when I took him in 2 days ago. They diagnosed him with trauma instead. It was only after my research I found the name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Smidge?
Customer: No. He only started showing signs 3 days ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Please ask Smidge's vet to consider prescribing either meclizine or maropitant - antinauseants/antiemetics/anti-motion sickness drugs - as well as an appetite simulant such as mirtazapine. I would expect a dramatic change for the better with those drugs on board. The tincture of time is in Smidge's favor as well. Idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disease is the most common cause of peripheral signs in cats, accounting for 43% of cases. Signs are expected to resolve rapidly without defintiive treatment, usually within the first week.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.