PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I think she has a kitty cold or allergies. She sounds

Customer Question

I think she has a kitty cold or allergies. She sounds plugged up when she purrs and is sneezing in spurts and licking her lips after
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitty's name and age?
Customer: Libby Female about 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Libby?
Customer: No. We got her in November from a shelter and had her checked out and vaccinated and tested for FIV etc.. all that came back OK.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

Are you seeing any mucous from her nose or when she sneezes?

Is she still eating well?

Any thick eye discharge?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No mucous. Still eating great and no real eye discharge. She does have some eye gunk in one eye that builds up but it takes overnight or longer to notice it. It's not a green/yellow snotty eye

Excellent. It sounds like your girl is suffering from allergies. With an infection we often see thick mucous from the nose and eyes, refusal to eat, etc. It sounds like she feels well, aside from the symptoms that she's having.

The best OTC antihistamine on the market for cats is Chlorpheniramine. It's available in your pharmacy section at the grocery store near where you'd find benadryl. You can give 1-4mg up to twice daily by mouth to cats and you can give it as often as needed. It usually takes 1-2 days to see vast improvements, so don't give in too soon. Make sure that she continues eating through medication as it can cause some nausea if she stops eating and its still being given.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.