Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

19 year old cat declined dramatically this past week. I've

Customer Question

19 year old cat declined dramatically this past week. I've had over 10 cats in the past 20 years, all live to be in their 20's. BUT have always been able to take them to be euthanized when it was "time". He is suffering so much. I am only working part time and barely making it. I swore I would never be this kind of "parent" and have animals depending on me that I couldn't afford to take care of....I have clonazepam and wondered if he could have some to at least make him more comfortable. He's sneezing and full of fluid, he can't get deep breaths. He will drink a little water. Weighs nothing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: Probably hyperthyroid, kidney issues, can barely open one eye, wobbles. Just suffering and taking forever to "shut down". Took my mom weeks and my child almost a full week. Don't know how to help him?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello. I'm sorry for the situation you're in.

You can give Clonazepam to this cat to take the edge off and get him by until you're able to get him seen or potentially euthanized if that is what is needed.

You can give 1/4 of a 0.5 mg tablet 1-2 times daily, as needed.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?