nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.

The kitchen is 10 weeks old and both eyes are super swollen

Customer Question

The kitchen is 10 weeks old and both eyes are super swollen and leaking yellow pus
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Ninja we just got him a few days ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: We got him from Petco or PetSmart
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has Ninja had these signs?

Can he open his eyes? Do the eye balls look cloudy/hazy or ulcerated?

Any sneezing or coughing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Haven't noticed any coughing coughing my daughter says that she has heard him sneezing a lot they do not go outside they only stay in her room his eyes we're fine all day the symptoms were first noticed last night when they were a little bit runny and kind of discolored Puss so we were going to take him to the vet but when we woke up his eyes were fine no leaking nothing clear then I just went to go check on then and his eyes were almost stuck shut because of so much past it even covered his nose and made it hard for him to breathe because it was all crusty
Expert:  nekovet replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Ninja.

What you reported sounds to be a severe bacterial conjunctivitis; though its important to know that in kittens it can often be secondary to a feline herpes infection or even Chlamydia. In all cases, we need to be proactive and will need to have him seen by your vet or the rescue’s vet. This is because if left, we can see these infections damage or even rupture the eyes leading to sight issues and in severe cases removal of the damaged eye.

So, we would want to have him to your local vet as soon as they are open. In the meantime, you can carefully flush the eyes and remove discharge with sterile eye safe saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution). This can be done 2-3 times daily to just remove as much discharge and bacteria from the eye as possible. His local vet will likely start antibiotic drops +/- oral antibiotics as needed. They can also test for those aforementioned concerns or culture the bacteria present to ensure they are treating all that is present and giving him the best chance of making a full recovery without lasting harm.

If he is showing any signs of congestion, you can also take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier, though since cats don’t like things held up to their faces, consider making him a steam tent (with him in his carrier, the humidifier next to it and a thin bed sheet over both). Or if he is building up mucus that the steam isn't shifting, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop 2-3 drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

Overall, this does sound like a bacterial conjunctivitis +/- with involvement from one of those 2 underlying agents. So, we want to help care for the eyes just now but plan to have a check so we can nip this in the bud for him as quickly as possible.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )