Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a bengal she just turned one and is due to be fixed

Customer Question

I have a bengal she just turned one and is due to be fixed in the begins of August. She recently started pooping outside of her litter box and I have noticed some blood in it and she just started pooping in front of my front door
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Bengal's name and age?
Customer: Zeena and she is 1
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zena?
Customer: I rescued her from a stressful home 3 months ago
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear your kitty has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Other then pooping outside of the box is she having any other problems?

Is she urinating in the box?

Any recent changes in litter, litter box placement etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She peed on my TV wires last week and I added another little box to my 1st floor to try and move her to only using the upstairs box . The other box is in my finished basement
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She will go in the litter box and outside of it.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a few minutes to type up your answer.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 3 months ago.

Some of what you are seeing may be due to stress or marking her territory. To help with this I would suggest getting some calming Pheromone plug ins or a pheromone collar. Feliway is the most common brand of pheromone used, however Sentry also makes both plug ins and collars that are a bit cheaper. You may also want to try a product called Cat Attract. This is a product you put in the litter box with the litter which helps attract them to the box. They sell not only the additive but also the litter that already has the additive in it. I personally suggest the additive as the litter itself can become expensive over time.

You can also try using different litter types ( do not use corn or wheat based litters) in different boxes to see if there is one that she prefers over others. I have several boxes and I have to use 3 different litter types for my cats.

Another possibility is undiagnosed medical issues. Blood in the stool is often associated with parasites or protozoa infection. In many cases when they have any type of pain when either urinating or defecating they associate that pain with the litter box and will seek out other places to go.

I would suggest having a stool sample sent out to the lab by your vet to check for any parasites. Only then can we assume this is all behavior related. If found to be behavior in nature then your vet may suggest trying a prescription medication for awhile to help reduce stress.

I hope this helps give you some direction.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How often do Bengals usually go into heat and what are the signs. How do I get her to stop hissing at me
Expert:  Candy R. replied 3 months ago.

Cats are seasonal breeders and normally come in to heat every 3-4 weeks between January and Sept/Oct. There cycles will vary depending on where you live as it is dictated by environmental factors including temperature and the number of daylight hours.

During the heat cycle they can become aggressive, will often cry as if they are in pain and crouch down holding their bottoms up in the air.

To stop the hissing can take time if she is a stressful kitty. The best thing for this is to get her in to a daily play routine. This breed is very active and have a strong hunting instinct, so use toys that allow her to use this such as a fishing pole toy or foraging toys. Play Play and more play is really the key with this breed. Also make sure she has areas she can climb. A tired cat is a happy cat.

Getting the pheromone plug ins and collar should help with this as well because they help reduce anxiety.