Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I took to vet emergency and they ran blood tests & the

Customer Question

I took to vet emergency and they ran blood tests & the doctor said that he had a
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: My cat symptoms now are he is having difficulty walking , his equilibrium definitely off. He was having trouble breathing & you could tell his focus was off but we took to the emergency very
JA: Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: I think he did but we didn't see it
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is Pepper & we've had him
JA: How old is Pepper?
Customer: A little over 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?
Customer: He is more clear headed now & he is trying to get around but his equilibrium is still of. I just wanted to know how long it will take for him to recover ? We are making sure he doesn't go up & down the steps by himself .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry Pepper had this trouble.

It sounds like a vestibular issue caused by an ear infection.It is similar to our motion sickness and upsets the equilibrium

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

He should be scripted an antibiotic to cure the ear infection.

In the meantime you can give him 12.5 mg of dramamine to relieve the symptoms.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge

Kind regards,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I forgot to tell you the Vet said he had a bladder issue & gave him antibiotics at the emergency room . She did not give a script for any additional medication.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

What bladder issue?A urinary tract infection?

Which antibiotic was scripted?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was wrong my sister who took him to the Vet said that the Dr. tested him for urinary tract infection & ear infection. The results were negative. They just gave him IV for fluids. The blood test did not show anything wrong.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Now that the holiday is over he should be evaluated by his regular DVM.

His symptoms are consistent with a middle ear infection that affects his equilibrium.

The feeling is similar to human motion sickness where the patient feels dizzy and disoriented.

In the meantime 12 - 13 mg of dramamine, sold OTC in drug stores should relieve his symptoms and make him a lot more ccmfortable.