Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

I have a 2.5 yr. old Bengal Cat. He has been either biting

Customer Question

I have a 2.5 yr. old Bengal Cat. He has been either biting me, or trying to....since he was only maybe 6 months old. It is better, because I have learned the warning signs he shows me, most of time. Sometimes, its just out of the blue. He is obviously very smart as the breed is, and he understands the word "No", when I raise my voice of course. Now, though, there is something new, and I don't know what to do. He gets mad, if I'm sitting on couch using computer for lengthy time. He howls, paws at me, and tries to bite me. Its' not until I really yell loudly, NO, that he then sits down and waits. But, he has caught me off guard and bit me. My Vet, states only way this will stop, is to get another cat. Is this true ? I do give him a lot of love and attention, and play time. But, he wants my constant attention it seems.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to assist you and Niko. I have a few additional questions for you.

1. How much time per day is spent giving him exercise and play time?

2. What type of environmental enrichment does he have? (perches, window ledges, scratching posts, etc)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well, I can guess maybe total play, 30 minutes....he seems to tire or get bored after only 5 minutes. He is always at my side. I take him with to visit my Dad, helps somewhat. He has a large cat house, he goes on to sleep mostly. He has a whole box of toys....I keep buying him new ones, as he gets bored after awhile. I live in apartment. I was looking for shelves he could climb on, or cat wheel...but I think wheel is cruel. He cries in morning, and tries to bite me to get up, but it's not even for food....he just wants me up with him.

Bengals are such intelligent, high energy creatures that they require a lot of stimulation. It is not that I disagree with your vet that a second cat (if chosen correctly) could alleviate some of this, but a second cat is more money and responsibility!

You can see if he will acclimate to a harness and then you can leash walk him for activity. If he likes laser pointers, there are fairly inexpensive "robots" that will turn on periodically to entertain them. I would also try to engage in play both morning and evening if possible.

If all else fails, there are ways to train a cat, but this is attention seeking behavior, so I do believe he is just bored, lonely or being ornery!

If I have answered all of your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer any additional questions.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.