Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I have 4 cats 1 of which was just diagnosed with an upper

Customer Question

I have 4 cats 1 of which was just diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection now my other 3 have it and I can't afford to take them all to the vet , can they take human clarithomyacin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Pumpkin 4 yrs 14 lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pumpkin?
Customer: No he is other wise healthy I also have 2 others with the same symptoms princess is 8 and weighs 11 lbs and tinker is 8 and 10 lbs all healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry your fur kids have upper respiratory infections. It is airborne and very contagious among cats,

The good news is yes, they can all be treated at home.

They can take any of these antihistamines:

add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

In addition, add 500 mg of l-lysine to the community water or get these:
http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/Optixcare_L_Lysine_Soft_Chews_60_Chews/Cat_Treats_and_Grass

Feed them smelly canned foods or tuna so they will keep eating.

If they get dehydrated drain the water from a can of tuna and let them lap it up.

If anyone is congested make steam room by running a hot shower in your bathroom. Take them in for ten minute intervals.

Please let me know how they are doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri