Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

She is making a awful cry then pukes. She tries to drink but

Customer Question

She is making a awful cry then pukes. She tries to drink but throws that up too. Started Saturday
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No same brand of food. Some different flavors. I did miss her thyroid meds Friday night and day morning cause I was sick.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jinx and she's 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jinx?
Customer: Her meds are for hyperthyroidism
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to be of help to you and Jinx. I'm so sorry she's crying, then throwing up.

Is this happening constantly or did she only throw up a few times? When was the last time she did it?

Is she eating and drinking anything at this time?

Is she using the litterbox at all?

When was the last time she got her thyroid meds?

Does she have any other medical conditions besides hyperthyroidism?

Thanks for your additional information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She got her meds say night and both Sunday am / pm. Then this am. She used the litter box this morning. She just puked again...just foamy water
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure if cats get stomach bugs or if I should take her to the vet
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for your very helpful reply.

It sounds like she's vomiting because her stomach is empty, this causes excess acid and then,nausea. For the moment, if she can keep it down, try giving her 1/4 tablet of 10mg. Pepcid AC (Famotidine); this will help quell her nausea and calm her stomach.

Remove all food and water, and don't let her eat or drink for the moment.

Cats can get stomach bugs or she may have eaten something she shouldn't have, like a houseplant, flowers, piece of a toy, something caustic or toxic. Since the vomiting of a watery substance is continuing, it would definitely be advisable to take her to the vet. If vets are closed due to the holiday, bring her to the nearest ER vet.

I hope Jinx will be feeling much better, very soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How often can she have it
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Every 12 hours.