Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

One of my cats has rubbed the fur above her eye off, Nike,

Customer Question

One of my cats has rubbed the fur above her eye off
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Nike, she is about to be 1
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nike?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to be of help to you and Nike.

I'm sorry to hear this about the fur above her eye.

Did she do this with her paw or by scratching with her hind foot?

When did you first notice this?

Does she spend any time outdoors?

Is she on a monthly flea preventative?

Is the skin under the fur, red, irritated and/or scaly? Is it bleeding or oozing?

Thanks for all your additional information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No time outside, I just gave her flea medication, there are little red scratches in the bald area, she does this with her paw
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

It's possible that this area is itching her due to fleas (if the medication is not working properly or she's extremely sensitive to flea saliva), mites that can be very itchy, like ear mites or others that can get under the skin, or possibly, ringworm, which is a fungal skin infection. Here is more information:

Sometimes ringworm is itchy and sometimes it's not. It's also extremely contagious to other pets and humans, so be careful not to touch this area above her eye, without gloves on.

Right now, you can apply a thin film of plain Neosporin to the area (don't use the one with the 'pain' component) and you might want to pick up an 'E' collar from the pet store to keep her from further damaging this area. However, your best next step would be to have her seen in person by her vet or any vet, as soon as you can, to find the cause and then treat it, appropriately.

You can also give her 1/4 of a 4mg. Chlortrimeton tablet to help alleviate the itching until you can see the vet.

I hope all will be well with Nike!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?