PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She's vomiting and smacking her lips, I really 't know.

Customer Question

She's vomiting and smacking her lips
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: I really don't know. She's usually is very picky and won't anything unusual. Two night ago she was locked up in the basement for 11 hours. Could that have anything to do with it. ?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat? What confuses you?
Customer: I'm really worried. When she vomitt I can see something solid coming out of her mouth but she keeps swallowing it before I can see what it is.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer.

It's very possible if she ingested something that she should not have consumed that this could be causing an issue for her. Not only could it cause nausea and vomiting, but it could also be what you're seeing when she's vomiting.

If you truly believe that you're seeing a foreign body, it would be best for her to be examined by a vet this weekend. The longer the foreign body is in the body, the more damage is can do.

Failing this, you can try a dosage of regular pepcid (famotidine) at a dosage of 0.5mg/pound of body weight every 12 hours. This should help to cut back on the nausea and vomiting that you're seeing. Give her at least 2 hours before trying to feed her if the vomiting stops. I would then move forward with using chicken pureed baby food in teaspoon amounts every 1-2 hours to ensure that vomiting does not start again. So long as she does not restart vomiting, you can go back to feeding her regular food tomorrow.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.