Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

She is Persian and has been scratching her neck until her

Customer Question

She is Persian and has been scratching her neck until her hair is coming out. I took her to the vet about a month ago because she was "favoring" her one ear by gently scratching and shaking her head. He said there was nothing wrong, but now she is scratching SO profusly and I am finding tiny little "bugs"....not fleas....on the white paper where she sits on my desk. I have to look at the bugs through a magnifying glass, otherwise, they only show up as the tiniest speck. PLEASE HELP!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Persian's name and age?
Customer: Sherbert, age 8 or 9 .....she is adopted and a house cat exclusively. I know a flea by sight as I have had animals all my life.....these are not fleas...HELP....
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sherbert?
Customer: I gave him all the info about her that I knew. I've had her for a year and this is the first time I've had a problem except for her scratching her ear when I first took her to the vet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer.

What flea prevention is Sherbert on at this time? (fleas or not, flea prevention works against many insects and this may be part of the way to combat the infestation).

How often is Sherbert bathed and in what shampoo is he bathed?

Have any meds been tried to help with itching?