Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has been diagnosed with FHV, expressed with

Customer Question

My cat has been diagnosed with FHV, expressed with conjunctivitis in his R eye. Both eyes have gray-green exudate that turns brown after it drys. He does not seem to be bothered by it though. He has some minor scarring in that right eye.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Bogart, age 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bogart?
Customer: He is on 1,000mg of lysine every day, and Famcyclovir 250mg oral 2x/day because he does NOT take well to eye drops. He's relatively big, 18lbs Bengal...bites and scratches if we try to give him drops.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry Bogart has FHV. How long has he been ill with this?

Has he tested negative for FIV and FeLV?

Is he a nervous, high strung kitty?

Indoor only and neutered?

Does he live with any other cats?

Thanks,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Feline herpes only affects cats with weak immune systems.Hence, boosting a cats immunity is the best way to fight the disease. Flare ups are usually associate with stress like a new cat, moving new people, noise, illness, etc.

Tetracycline is the antibiotic of choice the treat FHV.

I recommend Immugen by Thorne Research:

http://www.holisticpetinfo.com/Immugen-by-Thorne.html

The following vitamins, botanicals and other nutrients have been shown to fortify the immune system and/or nourish eye tissue:

Lysine is an amino acid that supports antibody, hormone and enzyme production. It also supports collagen formation and tissue repair. Lysine is thought to suppress blood arginine levels, thereby inhibiting herpes virus replication.

Vitamins A, C and E have antioxidant properties which fight free radicals that can damage the lens of the eye.

Astragalus is considered by many to be the most powerful immunity-boosting herb. Astragalus has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral effects, and works by increasing the white blood cell production of your pet's own antiviral compounds alpha-and gamma-interferon, which help protect against viral invasion.

Bilberry extract (Vacciuium myritllus) derived from a fruit similar to the blueberry, contains active ingredients for eye health and proper vision. The berries are rich in the antioxidant anthocyanosides -- the red pigments that are beneficial in ophthalmology and vascular diseases. Nicknamed "the vision herb" bilberry has a substantial body of research that confirms its benefits for human eyes. This herb is very helpful to animals with early stage eye disorders, or for animals that have a genetic predisposition to eye problems.

Zinc is a mineral linked to good vision and may protect eye tissue from damaging light and inflammation. Zinc is found in healthy retinal tissue.

Lutein, a carotenoid found in dark, leafy greens, is also found in the retina of healthy eyes where it acts as a shield against harmful light and may help protect the eyes against damage from ultraviolet radiation.

Quercetin is a natural antioxidant bioflavonoid that protects cells from damage by free radicals.

Coenzyme Q-10, commonly called CoQ10, is a vitamin-like compound that acts as an antioxidant protecting cells against free radical damage. It exists in every cell of your pet's body, and it could not survive without it. CoQ10 is essential to the production of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which produces energy within the cells and is the basis for normal functioning of all body systems and organs. Besides being essential to heart health, CoQ10 enhances immune function, and is important to your pet's overall health.

Please let me know how Bogart does on this program.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri