Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My 1 year old male is panting heavy and running around

Customer Question

My 1 year old male is panting heavy and running around ..acting like something is on his back...licking near his tail area. Also pooped on floor which he never does
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Gucci
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gucci?
Customer: No. He has always been healthy and dies not go outside. I had been out of town for a few days and just got back. At first I thought he was just hapoy we were home. He was not home alone though
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear that Gucci is not acting himself.

From your description, this sounds like a condition called feline hyperesthesia, which is not uncommon. It's neurological in nature and likened to seizures. The cat's back/tail area become super-sensitive and they try to bite or lick furiously at it. The skin on the back may 'ripple' also, with this condition.

Here is more information:

The panting is of concern, so try to calm him down and stop him from running so much, but don't touch his back/tail area.

He will need to be seen by a vet, to make a definite diagnosis and prescribe treatment. He also may be referred for a neurological work-up.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do for this condition at home, so I hope you can get him to the vet, as soon as possible to be evaluated.

I hope all will be well with Gucci and please let me know how he's doing. Thanks!

I hope you found this answer helpful and will please take a moment to select a positive rating from the stars at the top of your page, then click 'submit;' this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. Thank you very much!

Even after rating, I will always be available if you need additional information; just click 'reply' and I will be glad to continue.

Warmest wishes,

Expert:  Cher replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?