Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My cat has just given birth a week ago and when I hear the

Customer Question

My cat has just given birth a week ago and when I hear the smallest kitten meowing I hear swishing inside him. He seems to have some trouble meowing, but sometimes when he meows I dont hear it. He has been sneezing every now and then as well. It seems like there is a little bit of discharge from his eyes. But I thought it might just be his eyes trying to open or getting ready to open. I AM desperate. I am on my own for a week and I have no money until saturday. I also have no car at the moment so I am pretty stranded. Does it sound serious? Or could it wait until saturday? I know he needs to go see the vet any way. I just need to know how urgent. Please help me! I have no idea what's going on or what to do.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

Hello Sara

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am sorry to hear that Silver is having issues. The swishing sound that you are hearing may be a heart murmur. In some cases, heart murmurs can be very loud and you can hear, feel, and see them. Some murmurs are problematic and some are not. Many will go away on their own. It is important that you get him in as soon as you can, to see what is going on, but if you will not be able to afford it until Saturday, you should wait as they will likely need to do diagnostics, such as x-rays or an ultrasound of the heart. Unless you can borrow money and a car for sooner. In the mean time, you will want to keep the kitten warm and make sure that it is getting enough food from the mother via nursing. You can clean the area around the eyes as needed, but allow them to open naturally.

If you have any additional questions, or if you need something explained in more detail, please let me know. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! I will be sure to do all of that! He seems to be getting enough food. And I made sure he is perfectly warm. Not to hot or to cold. Thank you so much for the help. I will be sure to take him in as soon as I can.

Excellent. Please let me know how things work out!

Hi Sara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Silver. How is everything going?

Melanie Goble