Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

We have 2 cats. One Siamese and one Bengal. The get along

Customer Question

We have 2 cats. One Siamese and one Bengal. The get along well enough but the Bengal is very dominant and aggressive. Our Siamese seems to be very stressed all the time, waiting for the next attack basically. Though they do not "fight" terribly they do play quite often and chase each other around the house. When we try to separate them to ease the Siamese's tension, they whine for each other until we allow them to join each other again. We are very concerned with the amount of daily stress and not sure what to do to help him. Would the introduction of a 3rd cat relieve some of the anxiety he is experiencing? Any advise would really help...thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Hi Chris,

I am sorry you are worried.

Can you tell me more about the fur kids?

Are they both 4 years old?

both male?

Are they neutered?

How long have they been together?

In what way does the Siamese manifest stress?

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi...the Siamese is 4 and male. The Bengal is almost 3 and female. They are both spayed/neutered,. They have been together since we brought the Bengal home as a kitten. The Siamese is constantly looking to the left, right, behind, up , down etc etc because he is just waiting to be pounced on by the Bengal. He has started sitting or laying in corners or in front of walls to protect his flank basically.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Dear *****,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. Now that you told me the fur kids are male and female, THAT makes this a completely different story.Theirs is not just a friendship, it's a marriage of sorts.

This is the way cats act when they live together. They have a specific language they use to communicate with each other.

You do not need a behaviorist for cats. They are really quite easy to understand.

They do not rationalize, nor are they capable of in depth thought or reasoning.

Everything they do is basic, logical (to them) and makes perfect sense.

Keep in mind we are dealing with two different purrsonalities. The Bengal is very active and an extrovert. The Siamese is more of a lover.He may be a bit intimidated by her but he does not fear her When he is in the corner use a feather wand or bird on a string toy to lure him out.Engage them in play to tire the girl out.if he didn't like her or was afraid of her he would be glad when she was gone. Whining to get her back shows he loves her and does not want to be separated from her.

In a cat hierarchy a strong kitty will always try to take over and assume the head cat position. In addition, that is always subject to changes if cat one senses weakness in cat two. Cats DO work things out in their own way and they could care less what humans (or behaviorists) think. They only respond to the energy of another animal be it feline, canine or human.

In every relationship there must be a leader and a follower. Bengal is definitely the leader, Siamese, the follower. Males (of any species) are generally submissive to females. The cats are just being cats and acting purrfectly normal.

Adding a third cat would be a terrible mistake because he/she would be a 5th wheel, an interloper. It would be like bringing someone into a married couples relationship.

You think the Siamese is stressed BUT you see ho both cats whine when they are apart That means they miss and LOVE each other.

If you feel the girl is a bit too pushy, use a pillow to gently push her back if she is overpowering the boy. BUT whenever she approaches nicely both cats get and immediate food treat. That way they see good behavior is instantly rewarded.

He is NOT afraid of her, he is just play stalking and hiding.

Get a feliway plug-in to keep both cats calm.Beyond that just let them enjoy their relationship. I promise you they ARE happy.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards

Terri