Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My baby kitten is about 3-4 weeks old. Her mom is here at

Customer Question

My baby kitten is about 3-4 weeks old. Her mom is here at home, the other 3 kittens passed away... I don't want the last one to pass away. I need help! She has a hard time breathing, I feel like she's getting close to dying if I don't have an expert tell me what to do. Her gums are lighter than mine and she had really tiny teeth. Im afraid that her moms milk is infected, that's why the others died. Now im giving her powder milk from petco. She hasn't drank much today but did yesterday, what could be the problem???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kitten?
Customer: That's about it. She sleeps a lot too. She has been peeing and pooping. Her poop was not solid, it could be diarrhea. Should I give her water. We're feeding her through a baby bottle for kittens.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am very sorry to hear that your kitten is sick and that the others have died. I wish I could give you a magic answer, but to be honest, if you want the kitten to survive, you must get her to a veterinary emergency clinic immediately. The reason this is important is that she likely needs medication and fluids placed directly into her blood stream. You also have to find out what is making her sick. If the mother has mastitis, it can cause the kittens to get sick and then both the kitten and the mother need medication for that. There is not something that you can do at home to fix this problem. I am very sorry.

Problems that can cause this include infections (both viral and bacterial) and congenital problems, such as internal organs that did not grow properly while in the womb.

If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them for you. If I have answered your question to your satisfaction, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.