PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

The problem isn't really my cat…its what my cat did. We have

Customer Question

The problem isn’t really my cat…its what my cat did.
We have a new baby bird that we’ve had for a little over a week now. It is a green cheek conure. I was cleaning the cage with the bird sitting on a table perch. My 3 yr old came in the room, letting the cat in as well and before I could react, the cat had taken a nip at the bird. I immediately removed them from the room and assessed the bird. There appears to be no injury that I can see. There was no blood. I called my avian vet only to be informed that she won’t be in the office until Wed. We live in a fairly remote area and after calling around, the next vet that handles birds is 6 hours away. Right now, the bird is in her cage with fresh water and veggies, and I’m keeping a close eye on her. I’m worried though because I have heard of birds dying within 24 hours after an unseen injury from a cat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Around?
Customer: not at this moment
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 4 months ago.

Good evening, JACustomer.

Most aves, when injured, will begin to show symptoms very quickly. They will stay at the bottom of the cage, they will avoid eating, they will appear to be fluffed up, begin feather plucking, etc. If all is normal at this time, I'd do precisely what you're doing and keep a close eye on your conure. You may wish to call the hospital that's 6 hours away and ask how quickly they could get you in if this were an emergency. If needed, make an advance appt and watch your bird during this time. If s/he worsens, you'll have the appt if you need it. If not, you can cancel it at any time.

If this truly was minor, I expect that all will be well with your bird. But do keep in mind for the future that your cat clearly is not a fan of your bird. You may need to make some modifications to the doorway where your bird stays or the hallway leading up to the bird's room to ensure the cat does not come back into that area.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.