Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Her left leg looks swollen & feels like it has a soft lump.

Customer Question

Her left leg looks swollen & feels like it has a soft lump. She's not limping & is even jumping. It could be SubQ fluids tho I gave them a few hours ago & ive never seen this before.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She's over 20, has kidney & urinary issues. Was peeing blood a couple weeks ago - tested positive for a UTI. We were gonna do an ultrasound but decided against it bc her kidney levels were good. I'm wondering if I can wait til morning & go to my vet or if I need to head to the ER.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: She vomited a few hours ago - tho that's not unusual. And she's acting normal, tho a bit cranky bc she needs to poop
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl who has developed a soft lump. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. While there are a few things that could have caused this swelling including an allergic reaction (to a drug or bee/bug bite or sting) or a lymph drainage issue, if this has occurred within a few hours of giving the sub cutaneous fluids, then this is very likely the fluid running down with gravity to the sub cutaneous tissue around the leg. If you give the fluid under the skin behind the neck (between the shoulder blades) and the swelling is around one of the front legs, then this is very likely what has happened here.

Keep a close eye on your girl for the next couple of hours if you can. If this is just the fluid you gave, then you will find that it dissipates and the swelling settles in the next couple of hours. If the swelling becomes any worse tonight, then definitely do get her seen by your local ER vet as there is likely something else going on here. Hopefully she is otherwise ok (other than the vomiting you mentioned which isn't abnormal for a 20 year old cat with renal disease). Best of luck with your girl and hopefully this is just a once off after the sub cutaneous fluid. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.