Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

MY Persian cat is having excessive eye discharge, has very

Customer Question

HELLO, MY Persian cat is having excessive eye discharge, has very bad breathe, she is listless and has been hiding under the bed the past couple of days. She seems very sad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your Persian cat. What is the Persian cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Purr?
Customer: Well, I do have another cat that hogs food and tries to keep Purr-La away from me. Babbette wants to have all my attention.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Purr-La. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are quite a number of possible causes for Purr-La's eye discharge, lethargy and bad breath, including anything from an upper respiratory infection, to bad dental disease, or even an internal organ issue such as kidney disease, or even an endocrine problem like diabetes or hyperthyroidism. Because Purr-La is now classed as 'senior', we certainly have to consider conditions that effect older cats.

Hopefully your girl is drinking water with no issue, and if she isn't then definitely try to encourage her to. If she drinks wet food, feed her this only for the next few days. Try to carefully wipe the discharge from her eyes if you can, and keep her warm and comfortable. If you can keep Babbette away from Purr-La's food so she can eat in peace, that will also be very important.

If this lethargy and bad breath has been the case for several days, I would really encourage you to visit your local vet tomorrow morning if you can. Here they can carry out a full physical exam including a careful oral exam to check her mouth and teeth (for signs of dental disease). I would also recommend a full senior cat blood test to rule out potential issues like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney disease and liver disease.

Best of luck with Purr-La and hopefully she improves overnight, otherwise do get her seen in the morning if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.