Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

He's not eating but he seems fine, s name is ashes and he is

Customer Question

He's not eating but he seems fine
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 11 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ashes?
Customer: No like I said he seems fine otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Ashes. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are quite a few things that could be going on here with Ashes to put him off food, including anything from dental or oral pain, early gastroenteritis, an internal organ issue, or even a toxicity or poisoning. You are going to have to keep a close eye on your boy and continue to try to encourage him to eat. Hopefully he is drinking water with no issue, and if not, the worry is that he could very quickly become dehydrated, so do continue to encourage him.

Given his age, there is every chance your boy has bad dental disease or some oral pain for another reason. This would be even more likely if he seems to want to eat, but doesn't pick up and chew the food, or attempts to eat, but spits the food out. You could certainly try some wet cat food for the next few days to see if you can convince them. Heating this wet food up for 3 - 4 seconds in the microwave can help to give it more of an aroma as well. Try several different cat foods with different key protein sources (fish vs chicken vs beef for example). If you have noticed him drinking more water than usual, then we need to consider potential issues like kidney disease and diabetes here as well, so if this is the case, do get him seen tomorrow by your local vet if you can. For now, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

Hi again - I'm not sure if my message are coming through. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding your boy.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc