Experience:  Associates Degree in Veterinary Technology.

My female cats vaginal area is distended and secreting blood

Customer Question

My female cats vaginal area is distended and secreting blood and mucus. The vet gave us a oral antibiotic but she continues to lick the area. She is eating and drinking normally. She is 16 years old. We ordered a soft cone to prevent her from licking to see if it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Her name is paige
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Paige?
Customer: I don't believe so. We are hoping the cone will prevent her from licking her area and allow it to heal
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  CVT_in_MN replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

how long has she been on the antibiotics?

HOw is she acting other than the discharge?

Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is spayed. She is acting normally. Bowel movements are normal and urine production is normalShe has been on the medicine for 5 days. 2 ml for the first 5 days and and 1 ml the last five days
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The medicine is ClindaCure
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her sleep patterns appear normal too. The vet suggested applying neosporyn on her vaginal area as a topical treatment

Has the discharge slowed down or changed at all since starting the medication?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The discharge has remained consistent since the medication began. Her litter box is cleaned twice a day.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since there hasn't been a change in discharge, and I absolutely would have expected there to be an improvement after 5 days, I would give your vet a call and ask if they feel there should be a change in medication.

Often, they'll start a pet one one kind of med, but it just isn't strong enough or the exact right medication to get the job done, so they have to switch to a different kind.

They may want to do something called a "culture and sensitivity" on the discharge. This is when they take a swab of the discharge and put it on little plates to cook in an incubator after dropping little antibiotic discs on it. The area around the disc with the least about of bacterial growth will indicate what kind of medication they should be using.

But I'd definitely give them a call, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.