Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii

He will suddenly cry in pain and during that time has a tick

Customer Question

He will suddenly cry in pain and during that time has a tick where his head pulls to the side and he opens and closes his mouth in a side chewing motion
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 17.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pumpkin?
Customer: He has a discharge from the right eye that clears up with care like daily eye washing with colloidal silver but won't stay cleared up. There is no vomiting or diarrhea or weight loss. He has since a kitten been anemic unless we give him tuna on a regular basis which clears this up. Without it his nose turns white so we try at least once a day to give him about a tablespoon of people tuna. He won't eat wet cat food only dry.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I will help you. But first I have to ask you a few questions.

Did this cookie have chocolate it?

Was the sweetener sugar, corn syrup, or a no sugar sweetener like Xylitol?

How long ago did Romeo eat this?

My name is***** and I will help you.

For some reason two cases got mixed up.

Just ignore the questions about the cookie.

I'll be back in just a minute.

How long has Pumpkin had this problem?

Is he laying down or walking when this happens?

Does he have any problems walking straight.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's been gradually increasing in frequency for a couplE of weeks. He does not have trouble walking strait but is not wanting to jump around as much as usual. My husband thinks he has a torn muscle but that does not explain the chewing. Also if he is walking when it happens my other cat who is the same age seeks him out and attacks him and they have been together for all these years. I don't know if she is scared or what but when he is making the noise along with the chewing motion and his head is pulled to the side my other cat gets furious. She clawed his face last night and drew blood. Otherwise they are budfies.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The eye discharge has been off and on for a few months.

I think that we may have a neurological problem possibly in his neck or upper neck. Perhaps a pinched nerve.

Your other cat is reacting to this difference and perhaps sees it as a threat.

I would separate them at this point.

Another possibility is a problem with the nerves to the face.

The best thing you can do is have a veterinarian give him a neurologic exam and check his face and mouth.

How much does Pumpkin weigh? I want to try some baby aspirin on him. A correct dosage is EXTREMELY important so I need his weight.

It has been two hours since I emailed you and you have not answered.

I cannot give you a dosage for the baby aspirin because I need Romeo's weight to dose him. Also aspirin can only be given to cats every 2 or 3 days. Giving it daily or at the wrong dosage is DANGEROUS!!.

I will check back tomorrow to see if you have gotten back to me. I'd really like to help you but my hands are tied if you do not respond.

Dr Marta

How is Pumpkin doing? Have you taken him to a vet?

If you have any questions we can continue this dialogue - even after the rating.

I wish you and Pumpkin the best.

Dr Marta

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 3 months ago.

Has he been eating?

When hid he have his last normal stool?

Does he seem to be in pain when he is straining?

Long or short hair?