Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She's 18 started just walking in circles was already not

Customer Question

She's 18 started just walking in circles was already not seeIng well. Her right eye is droopy and tearing. Hiding mostly I go get her and wrap in blanket rock and pet her. Won't eat or drink.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: No nothing like that. She's a munchkin and stays in house.
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: MACY.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macy?
Customer: No she has always been very healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Macy. Circling is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of encephalopathy (brain disorder) involving the forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. I need to consider both intracranial (within the skull) encephalopathies such as brain tumor (a meningioma is most common) and extracranial (outside the skull) encephalopathies such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating her brain. A droopy eye (upper lid droop is called ptosis) may represent Horner's syndrome - an interruption of the sympathetic nervous system to the affected eye...another indication of a neuropathy in Macy.

Macy's vet can perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to identify an extracranial etiology for Macy's circling. Intracranial disorders require MRI - advanced and inappropriate imaging at her age. Needless to say, Macy's prognosis is quite guarded to poor and every day is a gift at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you very much. If she is not eating or drinking how long before,we should request to have her out to sleep. I don't want them to run a bunch of test just to tell us she dying. I know her so well after 18 yr. Something is terribly wrong.

You're welcome. I would perform the final kindness at your earliest convenience. Just 24 hours of anorexia will leave an 18 year old profoundly dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced. I wish I could give you more time but you're correct. Something is terribly wrong. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?