Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I think my cat broke or dislocated her front left leg. She

Customer Question

I think my cat broke or dislocated her front left leg. She is not using it at all and is in pain with high pulse
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: I wasn't around at the time, but my kids say no
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: mittens and she is about 2-3 months old. Not certain, she was a stray.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mittens?
Customer: never been seen. no shots or check ups yet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any way to fix this at home? Or at least a way to determine if if is a break or dislocation?
Expert:  Cher replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry mittens injured her leg.

The best next step for you at this time, is to have her seen in person by a vet, right away. If your vet is closed now, bring her to the nearest ER vet center, where she can be x-rayed, necessary, so you can get a definite diagnosis and she can be treated and given pain medication.

For the moment, try to keep her immobile in a crate or carrier.

Unfortunately, there is no way to fix this at home,nor to determine if it is a break or dislocation. The vet will need to feel it in person and as I mentioned, imaging may be necessary.

If you're in a financial bind, try applying for Care Credit, which is accepted by most vet offices, or bring her in to a VCA animal hospital, which offers free first visits to new patients. They are open extended hours and have offices nationwide, so I hope there's one near you.

I hope all will be well with Mittens! Please keep me posted on how she's doing and what the vet's report is. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest wishes,