Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My kitten seems to have lost interest in eating. I adopted

Customer Question

My kitten seems to have lost interest in eating. I adopted her from a rescue. She is about 7-8 weeks old. She is drinking water but has lost interest in her food. When I brought her home she was eating about a small can of wet food and now isn't wanting to eat at all. I have tried offering plain rice but she isn't eating that either. She is playing and acting normal at this time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Lacey. Is their a cost for your advice? I am trying to avoid costly vet bills.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lacey?
Customer: Her bowel movements have always been a little loose -runny.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I a sorry Lacey is not eating.

Since she has runny bowels she may be a bit dehydrated.

Rub a droop of syrup or honey into her gums to raise her blood sugar.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let hep lap it up for hydration. If she does,offer some tuna.

Go out and get a jar of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic.

Add a tsp of the rice you boiled. Warm the food bit to bring out the aroma.

Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there any medication she can be prescribed to increase her appetite? I tried the rice and she would not eat it. I have always fed her wet food and she was eating it but now won't eat that do I don't think she will eat tuna. Please help.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

There are appetite stimulants but a kitten should not need one.In fact,a kitten should have a huge appetite because she is growing.

Try warming the wet food to motivate her. Also try the tuna and the baby food. I think she will eat that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She will not eat her wet food warmed. I warned it this afternoon and she would not touch it. If she won't eat 100% wet kitten food, I don't think she will eat wet baby food or tuna (some of her kitten food is chicken and also some is salmon flavored).
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also tried kitten milk and she did not want anything to do with that either.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I would not want her to have milk with loose stools anyway.

What is the brand and name of the wet food?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is Blue Buffalo wet kitten food.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Ok that is a good food but she may not like it.

Try a can of fancy feast. Some cats prefer fish flavors.

Did you try tuna yet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not tried Tuna but her cat food is salmon flavored. She has eaten all the flavor a before-chicken and salmon- without problem.
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

Has she been wormed?
Any sneezing?

You have nothing to lose by trying the foods I suggested.

Its worth a try.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I has a refund please? I am going to bring her to the vet tomorrow. How do I contact someone for a refund?
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.
I will make sure you get a refund