Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is stumbling around disoriented eyes are dilated and

Customer Question

She is stumbling around disoriented eyes are dilated and does seem to be able to see whats in front of her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: Not to my knowledge and I do NOT give her flea medicine or any other kind of meds.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Penny and not sure of age, I adopted her so I will guess 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: No.............
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Penny. How long have these symptoms persisted, please? They suggest encephalopathy (brain disorder) due to infection, trauma, intoxication, or stroke.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It "started" yesterday I noticed she wasn't her usual steady self on her back legs, now I wake up this morning and she can barely stand up......................... I called Perma Treat to see if they had been by thinking maybe it was something toxic, but they have NOT been by, they are supposed to CALL me before they come.

Thank you. If there's no access to a toxin (insecticide, drug, e.g.) and no history of trauma (concussion, e.g.), infection (the neurologic form of the FIP virus is most common), and neoplasia (lymphoma in the central nervous system) need to be considered. It can be a challenge clarifying the etiology of such a presentation without perfoming advanced diagnostics such as a cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI which are usually the province of a specialist veterinary neurologist. Please start with having Penny's generalist vet take a look at her. A thorough physical exam might reveal clues to her disorder. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?