Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My senior cat (15 yrs old) has had trouble with her nd legs

Customer Question

my senior cat (15 yrs old) has had trouble with her hind legs for a while, but suddenly today she can barely walk. Front legs have energy, but she can only walk a few steps before having to sit down. She also has not pooped in the last few days, but she is eating (some).
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: not that I know of I think she has arthritis but today is way different
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. It might be a fracture. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Addy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Addy?
Customer: about a year ago our vet said she was in liver failure but she's been doing ok until today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry Addy is having trouble.

Do her legs feel cold or have blue nail beds?
What and when did she eat last?
Does she have any arthritis?

Do you have any milk in the house?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Her legs do not feel cold or look blue at the nails. She does have arthritis. She ate last this morning (tilapia and some wet cat food). Her diet has changed over the last 4-5 days...she used to love cooked tilapia but has not been very interested in it lately. I gave her some milk and she liked it. But she can only walk a few steps before sitting down.
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

Dear Rob,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

She may be dehydrated or hypoglycemic. Senior cats often get constipated.

If she is not diabetic rub a drop or syrup or honey into her gums to raise her blood sugar.

Give her one to to ounces of warm, whole milk.It is a natural laxative that should bring on a BM within 2 hours.

Drain the water from a can of tuna and let her lap it up for hydration. If she does, offer some tuna.

Go out and get human chicken baby food with no onion or garlic. Warm it to bring out the aroma.

Canned food is also excellent for arthritis as is a glucosimine supplement:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/products-by-health-type/by-type/joint-bone-animal-health-products/what-is-dasuquin

Please let me know if she eats and how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Terri