Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 4 year old cat is urinating in small amounts frequently.

Customer Question

Hello, my 4 year old cat is urinating in small amounts frequently. I took her to the vet. They did an ultrasound and found a small shadow on her bladder. She was put on pain meds for ten days. Her urine analysis was normal with only a few crystals and no infection. Small amount of blood due to urine collection method. It's been two weeks and she is still urinating in small amounts some of the time. We have tried to keep her diet limited to only canned food but she eats some dry food in very small amounts during the day and at night because we have another cat and a dog. She is no longer urinating outside the litter box. We are using Uromaxx each day but see little change.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: No, she is very active, affectionate and eats well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry Coco is having trouble. It sounds like she has interstitial cystitis. That is a bladder infection with no bacteria seen upon exam. She experiences a burning sensation when she voids.

https://www.vetinfo.com/feline-interstitial-cystitis.html

http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/urinary/c_ct_bladder_inflammation_feline_interstitial_cystitis

Esteemed authorities believe this is caused by eating dry food:

www.catinfo.org

Give her 4 drops of cranberry juice by dropper, every day for ten days to lower the PH of her urine and stop the burning.

Up her fluids by giving her tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how she is doing.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri