Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

Her ear is swollen. Like there is fluid trapped between the

Customer Question

Her ear is swollen. Like there is fluid trapped between the layers of the ear.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Yodie she is about 8 years old and is a "barn cat" shorthair
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Yodie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Yodel?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry Yodie has this trouble.

This is called an aural hematoma. It is a result of the cat violently scratching or shaking her head.

A vet can drain the fluid but it often comes back if the itching continues. If you do nothing, it can resolve on its own but the ear may have a cauliflower appearance.

In the meantime you can give her an antihistamine:

onion or garlic.

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so she will not detect it

Any of these are also acceptable:

Benadryl at a dose of 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet given twice daily or

Chlorpheniramine at a dose of 2-4 mg twice a day or

Claritin (Loratadine) at a dose of 2.5-5 mg/cat or

Zyrtec (cetirizine) 5 mg once or twice a day

It is important to ensure that the formulations used contain ONLY the antihistamine and are not combination products (e.g. Claritin-D contains pseudoephedrine, which could cause very significant adverse effects in a cat).

Please let me know how she is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Expert:  Terri replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?